Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Do we lack personal hygiene?

Do we have poor personal hygiene? I am not rich, hence i take public transport. But I teach so I also need to point out that we need to educate ourselves on this topic. Like why we smell and how to control it. Bad odour and bad breath can be troublesome, but it can be control with personal hygiene and good habits.
I tell this to my students so that they give good impression in their job interviews. What is the matter with us when we can not take criticisms? Albeit constructive ones are generally welcome because that it how we improve. If everyone says I am good and doing great and there is not a thing to change. I would not be motivated to improve my teaching skills, learn new language, learn how to communicate with dyslexics, autistics and other learning impaired individuals. I am taking this as point to improve myself. I do admit I do have bad hair day and I do smell after I walk 40 mins from my unit to the LRT.
So please, I know about my body odour and bad breath at the end of the day. I now join a gym nearby on daily basis and get a shower as well before I start my teaching rounds. Being a teacher, I have to be a good role model - so lots of give and take, lots of sayang and berterima kasih that I am still alive today. So if we can give comments, then we must be prepared to take comments, brickbats and smelly eggs thrown in our face.
I used to lecture in a hall of 400 students, so please, I have been there and I think the audience would harbour a wish to throw rotten eggs at me. I do not blame them. Our schedule was so tight that I need to cram a whole semester into a 3 hour lecture or speech. I feel sorry for the students and I feel that most were so tired and exhausted before the exam. I admit I am a human being and I take humour from all of our postings.

So keep posting and have a laugh at ourselves as well. I do not think we are belittling ourselves. I rather think we are examining ourselves and investigate ways to manage these anti social behaviours where it is possible. It is time we grow up as a nation and take a stock of where we had been, where we want to go and how to get there. If all I need is listerine, deodorant and a good hair style and some ironing for my clothes, I would think I can get anywhere in my career. We all live and learn to get by, so have a laugh is also good for your heart.

1 comment:

Harimau-Menaip said...

Good topic. I'm sure its been written by a good person.